Bedsores: signs, treatment, varieties, characteristics, prognosis
The patient, who is in a situation of very limited physical activity, lies in wait for a lot of attendant troubles.One of them is the probability of decubitus.And this article will tell you about how bedsores look, what care they require, what are the stages and treatment of decubitus, and about the prognosis for patients.
Features of the disease
The disease can occur at any age and does not depend on the patient's sex. Statistics show that, nevertheless, more than half of people who have had bedsores belong to the elderly age group.Of course, this is due to the reduced recovery capabilities of the body in this period.
And most likely this problem will overtake a person weakened by the underlying illness.The risk zone also includes people who, in addition, also have weight with deviations from the norm.And the weight and weight of the patient are equally adversely affected by the situation.
Below you will find photos of the initial and subsequent stages of pressure sores.
Photo of decubitus step
For decubitus on the heels, buttocks, coccyx and other places, read below.
Areas where pathology is formed are defined by protruding parts that appear when lying down.If the person is more in a supine position, then this can be:
- area of the cone,
- protruding vertebrae,
. During prolonged lying on the side, a lesion in the form of pressure sores can be covered:
When lying on the abdomen, possible affected areas:
- thigh area,
What is pressure ulcers and how to prevent them, this video will tell:
Reasons for the occurrence of
Factors that cause the disease:
- With prolonged lying of the patient in one position in the points,Where the greatest pressure is created on the skin and tissues under it, there is a forced deterioration of blood circulation.As a result, tissues feel oxygen starvation and nutritional deficiency, which can lead to necrotic phenomena.
- People who have a need to stay in bed, as a result of illness, have lowered immunity.This fact contributes to the creation of foci with inflammatory processes where there are prerequisites for this.
- Insufficient care for a lying person can serve as the reason that he will have bedsores.This is facilitated by lying in one posture for more than two hours and wrong actions with the first signs of pressure sores, inadequate hygiene of the patient.
Symptoms of pressure sores
The signs of pressure sores depend on the depth of development of the negative process caused by the disease.A consistent description of the symptoms of decubitus, beginning with the earliest symptoms and including those that occur with further, if not immediately taken measures, deeper processes of tissue damage.
- Redness of individual zones on the body.The area is in the place of contact of the body with the bed with a long lying in one pose.If the finger does not leave a pale trail when pressing on the reddened area, then we can say that in this place a bedsore begins.
- Another sign of the problem will be the fact that reddening with a change of posture does not go right away.At this stage, pain can be felt in the affected area, signaling a problem, or there may be no pain factor.
- The affected area acquires a swollen appearance.
- There may be blisters.
- Violation of the integrity of the skin leads to inflammation on the skin, the appearance of pus, ulcers.
- The process of tissue damage captures deeper layers, down to the bones.
- Infection into wounds, sepsis is possible.
The presence of pressure sores and, at what stage the process is, is determined by visual inspection of the patient.No other diagnostic methods are indicated for the problem.
Exception is when the pressure sores are already in a purulent process.To determine the possible infection of inflamed sites, a biopsy method is used.This method makes it possible, when confirming the presence of infection, to establish an infectious agent.
Now let's find out how to treat pressure sores, and what are the rules for treating them.
detail about the treatment of pressure ulcers to tell the video below:
the early stages of pressure ulcers can be treated to a much greater extent than when the process has reached a severe pathology.Therefore, it is important to notice the violation as early as possible and begin to provide assistance.
The patient should be rotated frequently so that a zone does not form.In a place of stable redness, do not massage, but knead the skin around it.At this stage, all the rules of care are observed, so that the skin does not break its integrity and the inflammatory processes do not start.
For creams, ointments and other remedies for bedsores read below.
circle from bedsores
Applied means following directions:
- preparations improving microcirculation in the tissues;
- creams with hydrophilic base,
- therapeutic oils, including camphor oil.
More details on how to treat bedsores in bedridden patients, will tell special material.
If bedsores already have suppurative processes and dead tissue is observed in the wound, then cleaning of this focus is required. Without purification from necrotic masses it is impossible to stop the development of the pathological process. This procedure is performed by the surgeon.
Prevention of disease
Measures to prevent bedsores are very important.The emergence of these problems occurs quickly, but it is not so easy to fix the situation.Especially if the time is missing and the purulent process has already begun.
If the patient is in a situation of movement, or very limited immobilized, it is important to perform the following actions on care:
- at least every two hours to help him to change position,
- if the patient is incontinent, be appliedDiapers and wash the perineum, not permitting the occurrence of diaper rash;
- reddened areas should not be massaged to improve blood circulation in this area, blot out the area around the redness;
- it is necessary to make sure that the bed surface is flat without folds, it is also important that there are no gross seams in the clothes;
- patient should be given a sufficient amount of drinking and vitamin, with protein content, food;
- in time it is necessary to carry out hygienic procedures for cleaning the skin, especially if the patient has increased sweating;
- should use mattresses from decubitus and special pads under areas where bedsores are indicated.
For the risk of developing complications from pressure ulcers according to doctors' reviews read below.
mattress against bedsores
If processes in bedsores achieved development to severe - festering wounds, necrosis of tissue at the deepest levels, the consequences could be very undesirable:
- pin osteomyelitis,
- suppurative arthritis,
- increases the risk of skin cancer,
The earlier start to treat the pathology caused by bedsores, the easier it is to achieve success. With persistent and correct care to restore health and get rid of bedsores at any stage of their progression.
If you have to use a surgical procedure, then the appearance can be corrected with the help of a plastic surgeon.But if there is a sepsis, then this can lead to death.
On the prevention of decubitus in a patient with a stroke, the video below will be told: