Keratomycosis: causes, symptoms, treatment, diagnosis
In recent years, the growth of various fungal diseases has been noted.Among the many diseases of the dermis in medical practice, there are often cases of keratomycosis.This group is characterized by the infection of exclusively the horny layer of the epithelium.We will tell you today about the treatment and prevention of keratomycosis, their tinctorial properties, show photos of patients, give useful advice.
Features of the disease
Keratomycosis is characterized by a low degree of infectiousness, the absence of any manifestations of inflammation.The causative agent of this disease is usually found inside the horny layer of the epidermis, near the mouth of the follicles.
The disease is usually manifested in those people who, because of certain factors, the protective function of the body has decreased.A decrease in the resistance threshold could cause such pathologies:
- chronic irritation of the conjunctiva;
- diabetes mellitus;
- Radiation Therapy.
If a person has one of the above diseases, the lesion of the dermis considered in this article is much heavier than usual.
Sometimes keratomycosis can occur in the presence of spring catarrh, herpetic keratitis, various diseases of the cornea.For the appearance of the fungus, the individual predisposition of the dermis is important, malfunctions in the usual dermal scaling, the special chemical composition of the sweat secreted by the glands.
On the classification of keratomycosis, we will tell further.
To keratomycosis carry:
- axillary trichomycosis;
- pityrious, multi-colored lichen;
- knotty trichosporia;
- axillary erythrasma.
This disease causes a fungus, which usually hides inside the stratum corneum of the epithelium. This mushroom is similar to the threads of mycelium( its filaments are thick, short, slightly curved), as well as round spores that are collected in clusters, have a two-circuit shell. On the human dermis, the fungus is found in saprophytic skin.To make it into a pathogenic form, a person must weaken defense mechanisms.
Also, the fungal transition to a pathogenic form is noted with:
- inhibition of cellular immunity;
- work in hot shops;
- presence of vegetative-vascular disorders;
- diseases, with increased sweating( lymphogranulomatosis, pulmonary tuberculosis).
About what symptoms of lesions for keratomycosis are characteristic, read below.
With the development of lesions on the epithelium, spots with a non-inflammatory character are noticeable.Usually they are endowed with a pink, yellowish-brown color.A feature of such formations is their ability to grow rapidly, merge, change color to beige, dark brown.It is because of the change in color that this disease is called multicolored lichen.
The sensitivity of the epithelium in the infection area remains practically unchanged.The patient may be disturbed occasionally such symptoms:
- slight itching;
- presence of flour-like peeling.
The resulting spots are characterized by asymmetry.They extend to the following areas of the body:
- shoulders( their outer surface);
- trunk( its lateral surfaces);
- head( its hairy part).
This pathology can last a very long time.Sometimes it drags on for months, years.
Diagnosis of keratomycosis
Usually, the expert makes a diagnosis based on the existing clinical picture.In some cases, additional diagnostic methods may be needed:
- iodine assay of Balzer.When staining the affected area of the dermis with iodine tincture( 5%), intensive staining of the diseased area( places of loosening of the stratum corneum) is noted;
- wood lamp.Such a mercury-quartz lamp will help to detect hidden foci of damage.For the procedure in the office turn off the light.During transmission, the infected parts glow with a specific light( reddish-yellow, dark-brown).
- for the confirmation of diagnosis is usually prescribed microscopic diagnosis of scales.Before the study, the flakes are treated with a solution of caustic alkali( 20-30%).
For the treatment of keratomycosis, the following agents are usually prescribed:
- is fungicidal.
To control keratomycosis, UV light is sometimes prescribed.But the leukoderma remains for a long time, until the time when the tan is gone.
For the treatment of foci, use an alcohol solution of iodine( 2%).If the spread of the disease is too extensive, the dermatologist prescribes daily wiping with salicylic alcohol( 2%), dilute hydrochloric acid solution( 5%).Also used in the fight against keratomycosis ointment:
- sulfuric( 10 - 20%);
- salicylic( 3 - 5%).
Therapy with these drugs lasts about 6 days.Then it is recommended to take tar baths.
Prevention of disease
- As a preventive tool, it is recommended to perform wiping with a solution of vinegar + vodka( 8%).
- It is recommended to correct sweating, to monitor personal hygiene.
The main complications are cosmetic defects.
If you follow a prescribed therapy, you can cope with the disease. Of course, there are possible relapses, but to prevent them you need to carry out preventive measures. If you do not treat this pathology( due to lack of discomfort, unpleasant sensations), the entire body will be covered with ugly spots with scales.