Molluscum contagiosum in children, in adults: treatment, laser removal, diagnosis
Contagious mollusc as an infectious disease of the skin is caused by a virus.A characteristic feature is the appearance on the skin of dense nodules of small size, in the center of which there is a depression.The disease is very common because of the easy contact pathway.Within half a year, self-healing can occur, so patients do not always turn to medical care.There are no health risks from molluscum contagiosum, but cosmetic defects bring discomfort to many.
contagious molluscum - a viral infection( code ICD-10 B08.1) with skin lesions. The virus penetrates into the epidermis and causes increased cell division, which causes the growths on the surface.
When the cells begin to break down, a depression appears in the center of the nodule.Inside the growth there is a large number of particles of the virus.Diseases are affected equally by persons of any gender and age category.Only kids under the age of one rarely get a molluscum contagiosum because of the presence of maternal antibodi
Infection, incubation period, the effects of molluscum contagiosum are described in this video:
Classification molluscum contagiosum
Pathogen ortopoksvirusov Poxviridae family, subfamily and genus of Chordopoxviridae Molluscipoxvirus. A kinship with the smallpox virus, chicken pox and vaccine was found.There are 4 varieties of orthopoxvirus, but the molluscum contagiosum is often caused by type 1 and 2 viruses( MCV-1, MCV-2).
- Giant shape with large, from 2 cm, knots.
- Pedicular form with the formation of large nodules by fusing small into one.
- Generalized form with nodules all over the body.
- Cystic form with the formation of cysts and ulcers on the surface.
Molluscum contagiosum on the face of a woman( photo)
Nodules can be located on the lower abdomen and inner thighs, groin and perineum, armpits andOn the face, on the trunk and neck, the soles and the scalp.In rare cases, rashes are found on the mucous cheeks, lips and tongue.Usually nodules are concentrated in one area, but self-infection can occur and then they spread throughout the body.
The 1st stage is an incubation period.This time is from 2 weeks to 6 months, when the skin can show the first symptoms of the disease.
In the active phase, nodules begin to cover the skin areas.They can represent individual elements up to 10 mm or merge into one huge plaque.Nodules grow slowly and reach a maximum size after 2-3 months, and then they die and disappear.
Causes and aggravation
disease can occur in any country and under any weather conditions.Outbreaks of molluscum contagiosum occur in areas with a low level of personal hygiene and a humid climate.People are more often exposed to infection:
- with weakened immunity;
- cancer patients;
- with rheumatoid arthritis.
The virus is transmitted by contact with the skin of a sick person, but it can occur with the joint use of household products, clothing.In adults, infection often occurs after sexual intercourse.People with strong immunity, even if infected, can not get sick with molluscum contagiosum.
- may take from several weeks to months after exposure to the virus until the onset of nodules.
- The virus is transmitted only from person to person, animals are not even carriers of this infection.
From the time of infection until the first symptoms may take 2 weeks or 6 months.The first nodules are small to 3 mm, dense and painless.Recovering gives immunity, which persists for life and gives a repeated outbreak of the disease in very rare cases.When combing the nodules, they can spread and the timing of recovery will vary.
Eruptions do not bother patients, they are just a cosmetic problem.During the squeezing of the nodules, a white mass is produced from them, containing the dead cells of the upper layer of the skin.Removal of formations does not always stop the process of appearance of new rashes.If the rash is located on the eyelids, then conjunctivitis may occur.
It's very easy to make a correct diagnosis due to the characteristic appearance of the nodules.
This video describes the treatment and symptoms of molluscum contagiosum:
Treatment can be performed at the patient's request in various ways, some are waiting for self-healing and do not go to the doctor.
- Treatment of adult patients is necessary so that they stop infecting others.
- For children, the procedure for removing nodules is often delayed, because for them it is stress.The immune system of the child's organism self-suppresses the virus over time.
- It is often necessary to wash hands with soap and avoid combing the nodules.
- Treat skin with disinfectant solutions.
- Do not shave the skin around the nodules.
If the skin around the rashes becomes inflamed, it is necessary to treat the surface with ointment with antibiotics.
- Use drugs with interferons( Infagel, Acyclovir) - it can be an ointment or cream.They are applied to dense small formations 2 to 3 times a day.
- For children it is possible to carry out applications with oxolin ointment.
Remove the formation can be mechanically or by cauterizing nitrogen, use a laser or electric current( electrocoagulation).To get rid of unpleasant formations it is possible with substances containing tretinoin, salicylic acid, cantharidin or benzoyl peroxide.
You can remove nodules at home in different ways.
- Garlic lotions from crushed to the state of gruel fresh teeth with the addition of butter in a ratio of 1: 1( by volume) and thoroughly mixed.The prepared mixture is applied pointwise to the nodules with a thick layer, fixed with a band-aid or bandage.Change of lotion is carried out 2 - 3 times a day.This procedure for molluscum contagiosum can be carried out until the nodules disappear completely.
- For the same purpose, infusion of string and garlic juice.
- There are good results in the tincture of marigold and cherry juice.These preparations should be prepared immediately before use.
Prevention of the disease
- It is necessary to monitor the health and maintain the immune system, take vitamins and eat properly, lead an active lifestyle.
- For seasonal diseases, apply immunostimulants as directed by a physician.
- Inspect the child's skin and isolate the patient from the team.
- Personal hygiene and referral to a doctor for suspected dermatological problems.
Complications can occur in persons with a weak immune system and when attaching infection due to combing the nodules.In some cases, eczema appears in the area of the rashes.
Forecast of recovery is favorable, only in case of immunodeficiency complications are possible.
Even more useful information about molluscum contagiosum - in the video with Elena Malysheva: